A Brief Look at the White Mountain Community Garden
The formation of the White Mountain Community Garden (“WMCG”), believed to be the first official community garden in Navajo County, started in June of 2010.
The garden location was made possible initially by collaboration between Navajo County and the City of Show Low, Arizona, providing limited water availability and the lease of county acreage. The garden is centrally located heart of Show Low with easy access and ample areas for growing, gathering and relaxation. It is a wonderful place for playing in the dirt, learning, and helping to promote environmental stewardship and healthy, sustainable living.
Our mission is to encourage healthier living through cultivating organically grown gardens with hands-on learning and knowledge sharing while experiencing a strong earth connection and sense of community. Although located in Show Low, our community is spread throughout our beloved White Mountain region. Our vision continues to expand as we grow stronger as an important sustainable community resource helping to enhance local resiliency. Our objectives include:
- Helping promote healthy food consciousness and recognizing the need for food self-reliance;
- Helping provide continuing quality education, including hands-on education, regarding the benefits of producing and consuming locally-grown, nutrient-dense produce organically;
- Tapping local wisdom and learning from one another, especially about viable growing methods in our unique climate and terrain;
- Sharing resources and working together toward transforming areas and strengthening our capacities to produce local food for our communities;
- Helping to create additional opportunities for expanding the type and quality of produce grown locally, extending the season, providing learning experiences and other services, feeding the hungry all year long, and nurturing the health and well-being of our children and adults of all ages.
All activities are possible only through the work of volunteers and through monetary and in-kind donations, and are planned and implemented with the goal of furthering WMCG’s exempt purposes. Without volunteerism and support, the community garden would not be where it is today; and we will continue to seek additional support from individuals and businesses who, by helping the White Mountain Community Garden in significant ways to meet its worthwhile goals and objectives, will help themselves and their community.
All contributions are tax deductible, much needed, greatly appreciated, and will be used wisely. To find out more about WMCG, its activities, membership costs and how to participate while helping the community, go to www.wmcgarden.org, or contact us by email to email@example.com; mail may be sent to P.O. Box 3003, Show Low, Arizona 85902.
Everyone is welcome to attend one of our meetings, which are open to the public (for dates, times and locations of meetings and events, please go to the “Events” page on www.wmcgarden.org).